Buses in New York



In my experience, there is no more scary road-bound thing in New York than a bus. Be it a double-decker tourist bus, the kind which routinely take out small groups of pedestrians standing far too safely on a street corner, a MTA bus, the kind which routinely clip unsuspecting bicycle riders in the ear with their fantastically protruding side-view mirrors, or the inexplicably licensed Hasidic school bus drivers to whom no stop sign falls under any Mishnaic missive, the New York bus is a fearsome missile.
Playing a rousing game of "Apples to Apples" with my niece and nephew recently lead to an embarrassing chink in my tactical armor. If it was my turn and the word happened to have a negative connotation, anyone holding the "bus driver" card knew they had the round licked.
My only consolation was that my nephew is afflicted by a similar Achille's Heal on the other end of the spectrum. If he is up, its a positive word and you have the "bacon" card, you can count on an automatic point.

4 comments:

DEMMON said...

Apples to Apples is a brilliant game. It forces inside-jokery. It is way more wholesome than Mortal Kombat.

What is that Clint EDastwood movie where Sondra Locke drives a bus like a battering ram? yeah...exactly.

soapy t said...

i don't knows these apples to apples you write of. but that is most likely b/c that is me in the short bus in your instant photograph.

Aaron Wexler said...

I hear ya. I often feel like the game Frogger (me being the frog). The fucked up part is that you're expected to yeild to a massive carbon puffing monstronsity instead of it being careful of human life.
Then again I'm the guy who got hit by a truck a couple of years ago by contesting that notion.

Anonymous said...

I was just in a driving class (I only have my permit, long story. . .) and the teacher guy was laughing about the whole notion of "right of way" and how it just doesn't exist. I find that pretty true.