Boxes, Brooklyn

Right after Marina and I decided to get married I headed up to Seattle to wrap up whatever was left of my life there. My parents were going through a divorce and my father was selling the house. I needed some extra money and my job at the coffee shop couldn't compete with the nepotistically enhanced paycheck my father would give me for painting the house and doing some landscaping. A week before we got married, Marina flew up and we drove a U-Haul truck down to Santa Diego full of all my belongings. There was a lot of useless stuff in there. We stopped in Ashland to see Kevin. We swam in Lake Shasta. We stopped in San Luis Obispo to see my brother. The whole way down, Marina read aloud from the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Marina proved herself a wonderful reader.

No comments: